Our next meeting is the Planning & General Purposes meeting to be held on 1st July at 6.45pm followed by the Parish Council meeting at 7.15pm  All residents are very welcome to attend, and we look forward to seeing you.


Have you often thought how you could contribute to the community of Wellow?

Do you want to make a difference?

Stand as a Parish Councillor

Becoming a Parish Councillor is one way of helping your local community.

You need to be on the Register of Electors for the Parish or, live within 3 miles of the Parish, but don't need any special qualifications - just an interest in the Parish of Wellow, its facilities and its local inhabitants.

To apply, please write to the Clerk, stating your previous experience, working history, interests and what you would bring to the Council.

For more information about the Council have a look at the Parish Website: www.wellowparish.org.uk

the Parish Council newsletters, available from the local shops, Parish Office and on the Parish Website.

All applicants will be offered an informal interview prior to ratification at a Full Council Meeting, at which the Co Option candidates will be considered and the opportunity to give a three-minute presentation at that meeting, for the benefit of any Members not in attendance at the informal interview.

Closing date for applications is 28th June 2019.

For any further information, you can also contact the Wellow Parish Council Clerk, Mrs Sharon Whitehouse at:

Wellow Parish Council, Parish Office,
Village Hall,
Buttons Lane,
West Wellow,
Hants SO51 6BR.
Tel: 01794 323275

Email: clerk@wellowparish.org.uk

Be tick aware

It is that time of year again with the lengthening evenings and warmer weather when  we are tempted to don our shorts and go for a good walk on Half Moon or Canada Common.

Although ticks can be active all year round in long grass, bracken, heather, woodland and hedgerows especially where deer and livestock are present they are more prevalent during the summer months.

Ticks can carry organisms which may cause physical and neurological illness in humans and animals.

It is sensible to take precautions and be aware of what action to take in the event of being bitten.


  • Wear long trousers or gaiters tucked into socks
  • Use insect repellent
  • Check yourself for ticks regularly


  • Wear surgical gloves
  • Use a tick-removal tool or fine nosed tweezers
  • Disinfect the tick bite
  • Wash your hands afterwards
  • Make a note of the date and place of the bite
  • Contact your GP if you notice a rash or flu-like symptoms

What NOT to use when removing ticks

  • Creams/ petroleum jelly/ oils/ spirits/ freezing agent/ powders/ or other substances
  • Cigarettes/ matches/ lighter
  • Anything that squeezes the body of the tick

(all these methods may cause regurgitation/ back-flow of infective fluids)

Further information is available from Public Health England: www.gov.uk/phe

Use our postcode checker to find out if you can get superfast broadband now: www.hampshiresuperfastbroadband.com/myparish/

Controlled Burning on Wellow Common

Please be advised that as part of the ongoing management program - controlled burning is being carried out on Wellow Common. This complies with all recommended practices and safety procedures.

The Fire Brigade was called out on Friday 22nd February by a member of the public. If there is evidence of fires getting out of control and there is a risk to health and safety, please contact Councillor John Sampson on 01794 322 923 in the first instance

Our Planning Process – further information

In our latest Newsletter the Chair provides an update on the planning process adopted by Wellow Parish Council.

Unfortunately, due to a lack of space, a large section of the article had to be cut.

However, the Parish Council is keen that residents are kept informed about what happens at the Parish Council, so we thought it would be helpful to post this additional information on the website.

Our Planning Process (PDF)

You face an unlimited fine if your rubbish is found fly-tipped

cartoon man with dog using a mobile phone to report fly-tipping

Always use a licensed waste carrier.



Hampshire County Council, Test Valley Borough Council, Environment Agency logos

Do you own land that has a watercourse or drainage ditch on or adjacent to it?

Answer: Yes –You are therefore a ‘riparian landowner’ and you are responsible for maintaining those watercourses.

Cold Calling

Hampshire Police and Trading Standards want to remind people not to be pressured into signing up for services and goods that they don’t actually need.